Before I give you my Chipotle Clone, I thought this e-mail exchange between myself and the people at Chipotle HQ was quite amusing.
The comment I left on Chipotle's website:
-SouthPark's Chipotlaway episode has left me with a hankering for Chipolte - all the time!
Their response: Thanks for writing to us. I'm happy to hear you have a hankering for our food. I have to wonder why that particular product would cause the cravings, but, like Cartman said, that product changed his life.
Seriously, I hope you are not in real need of that product, but I'm glad to hear you took the spoof in good humor. It really was funny and we're glad it left you craving our food. We hope we'll see you again soon!
Great, right????? :-)
Now, onward to the recipe!!!!!!!!!!!
Calily’s Chipotle Clone
**This recipe has a lot of different elements, but most of the things can be cooked at the same time so it should take less than 30 minutes to put together.**
-2 C. long grain rice (rinsed)
-4 C. water
-small amount of vegetable oil for the pan
-1 clove garlic (just crushed, not chopped)
-1 tbsp. lime juice
-1 tsp. kosher salt
-1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1. Heat a large, deep pan on medium heat. Add enough oil to just coat the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the rice and the clove of garlic.
2. Cook the rice for 2 minutes, then add the water, salt, and lime juice.
3. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn the heat to Low. Let the rice cook on Low for 20 minutes.
4. When the water has all been absorbed, the rice should be done. Add the cilantro and fluff the rice with a fork.
-16oz. can of black beans
-1/2 onion, chopped
-2 cloves garlic, chopped
-1/4 tsp. cumin
-salt/pepper to taste
1. Heat a small pan with olive oil on Medium Heat. Add garlic and onions. Saute until soft.
2. Add the can of black beans, no need to drain it.
3. Add cumin, salt and pepper.
4. Cook on Low for 15 minutes.
Chicken & Veggies (none of these measurements are precise, more like a smattering of each):
-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-1 bell pepper, sliced
-1 white onion, sliced (or yellow if you don’t have white)
- place the chicken and veggies in separate containers
-1/4 tsp garlic powder
-1/4 tsp onion powder
-1/4 tsp chipotle powder
-1/4 tsp cumin powder
-1/4 tsp ancho chile powder
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-olive oil to coat
1. Mix all the seasoning together and dump ½ on top of the chicken and the other ½ on the veggies. Drizzle with olive oil and let it marinate for 30 minutes. If you don’t have time, no worries, the chicken/veggies will be just fine without the marinade time.
2. Heat a cast iron grill plate on Medium Heat. When it’s ready, cook the chicken on each side for 6 minutes. This will result in the perfect chicken!
3. Take off the heat and let cool on a plate before cutting into slices.
4. Add the veggies to the skillet and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). This might take a few batches depending on how big your skillet is.
With all the components ready for burrito bowl, it is now time to assemble this amazing plate of food!
-cheese (I use a Mexican blend, but whatever you like!)
-pico de gallo (generic recipe from Food Network)
Place the rice on the plate, then the beans, then the meat/veggie mix. Top with whatever garnishing ingredients you like.
Save yourself a few bucks and make it at home! This would be plenty for 4 servings!