Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Turning TABC Data Into a Map All About Beer

When Austin Beerworks started this whole 99-pack of beer thing, the story was pitched in my editorial meetings several times. I never even pitched it once! I thought it was genius marketing but I never brought it up in a meeting... and I'm known for pitching beer stories!

After two weeks, we finally did the story. You can watch it here:



While my reporter was working on the story, I wanted to know how many brewery and brewpub licenses were actually in our area. After some queries on TABC's website, I plotted this map:



I don't get to do fun data sets often, but sometimes I do! I think the last map I did was where Google Fiber asked for permits (nowhere near my hood).

These are all active and pending permits with TABC. Some places haven't even opened yet.

I didn't even know these places existed:

  • Bluebonnet Beer Company (Round Rock)
  • Bull Creek Brewing (Williamson Co.)
  • Solid Rock Brewing (Spicewood)
  • Strange Land Brewery (West Lake)
  • Last Stand Brewing (Dripping Springs)
  • Smoke'n Hops (Dripping Springs)
  • Sean Patrick's (San Marcos)
  • Aquabrew (San Marcos)
Here's hoping these new places have some good brews on tap!

Have you been to all of these places? Which new place are you most excited about?

No comments:

Post a Comment