Sunday, October 7, 2018

Bitches be brunchin'

A couple of years ago, I was talking with a friend about why I love to cook and entertain. I love being able to sit around a table and catch up with friends without having to worry about sitting at a restaurant's tabletop too long. I lamented how in this foodie age, people love going out to eat but not enough people host, cook and in turn share it with friends.
I'm a dork and even had tanks made!
That's how my brunch club was born. I extended the invite to five friends -- all of us have a TV news background. Our club meets the first Sunday of every month and the hostess for the month rotates depending on who is available to host. If the first Sunday lands on a holiday, etc. we sometimes slide it into the second Sunday. 

Ever since we've started, we've only skipped a couple of months and I know I've only missed a couple! While everyone can't make it every single month, it's still fun to have a smaller group of girls to chat with. In some cases, we'll go out to a restaurant if there's only a few people available for the month. 

When I host brunch, it gives me a chance to try new recipes. I know some of the members will see a fun brunch recipe somewhere and save it so they can try it for their next brunch! 

Besides the food, the best part is just being able to settle in with a mimosa and catch up with friends for hours! We talk about work, relationships, politics and the moms in the group talk about child rearing things. 

Sometimes we'll have our significant others attend, but most of the time it's just 'bitches be brunchin.'  On some occasions, if we have other friends in town, we'll invite them to join the party as well. 

In the nearly two years we've done this, people have had life changes but brunch has been a constant and for me, it's a job and something I look forward to. Even though I initiated the club, it's our group and our energy that has kept it going!

A baby shower brunch for Sarah when she was preggo!
Thank you to Larissa, Erin, Mandy, Alicia and Sarah for all being awesome women who I love to spend lazy Sunday mornings with. 

What's one of the best things I've made for brunch club? This Potato Basil Frittata from Ina Garten. It's delicious. I usually ramp up the greens by adding fresh kale or spinach to it!

I also tried a few of Ina's recipes from her Party cookbook for another brunch:


I made her raspberry french toast and mini Italian frittatas.


I was thinking it'd be fun to have a future brunch be based on a new cookbook. Everyone would pick a brunch recipe from the book and make it for that day. OR everyone picks recipe from a new book, make it and bring printed copies of the recipe for people to take home. So many ideas!

Erin made this beautiful fruit tart the last time she hosted:

No comments:

Post a Comment